Re: Return codes for archive and restore commands

From: Олег Самойлов <splarv(at)ya(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Return codes for archive and restore commands
Date: 2018-12-03 15:52:44
Lists: pgsql-docs

> If you were to rewrite those paragraphs or make them more precise, how
> would you actually shape your suggestions? I personally quite like the
> current formulations, but I am rather used to it to be honest.
> --
> Michael

Yep, I am for make them more precise. Now this paragraphs describe PostgreSQL and bash behavior for users of PostgreSQL and may be they are good in this. But for a script or application programmer must be described not only behavior of PostgreSQL, but also precisely described the program interface. For instance, aws cli utility, that I used for my archive and restore commands sometimes return 255 code, for instance, in a case of network fault to connect to S3 (object get command). And I was surprised that the PostgreSQL suddenly stoped in such case, there was nothing in documentation about this. So explicitly describing behavior of PostgreSQL in terms of script returning codes will be useful for script programmes.