Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

From: "Neil Conway" <neilconway(at)home(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."
Date: 2001-06-26 15:25:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I'm getting hundreds of errors in my Postgres (7.0.2) logs like this:

ERROR: Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported

Postgres is compiled without multi-byte support and the encoding on the
database is SQL_ASCII. AFAIK, there is no need to store UNICODE (but I
might be wrong -- if that's the problem, tell me).

Since the database is accessed by hundreds of different clients
(interfacing using JDBC, PHP4, Perl, and perhaps others), I'm having
difficulty tracking down where these errors are coming from and why
they're occuring.

Does anyone know why this error would occur, and under what circumstances?

Just ask if you need more information.

TIA,

Neil