Re: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: neilconway(at)home(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."
Date: 2001-07-04 02:22:32
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm getting hundreds of errors in my Postgres (7.0.2) logs like this:
>
> ERROR: Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported
>
> Postgres is compiled without multi-byte support and the encoding on the
> database is SQL_ASCII. AFAIK, there is no need to store UNICODE (but I
> might be wrong -- if that's the problem, tell me).
>
> Since the database is accessed by hundreds of different clients
> (interfacing using JDBC, PHP4, Perl, and perhaps others), I'm having
> difficulty tracking down where these errors are coming from and why
> they're occuring.

1. This message is coming from parse_client_encoding() in the backend,
which is never active without multi-byte support. So I'm sure you
are using multi-byte enabled backend. Please check your
installation.

2. The error message indicates that your client asks UNICODE as the
frontend side encoding, but the database is configured with
SQL_ASCII encoding.
--
Tatsuo Ishii