Re: Another little thing about psql wrapped expanded output

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another little thing about psql wrapped expanded output
Date: 2015-12-02 20:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/01/2015 11:20 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Notice that the dashed lines go all the way to the right margin of my
> 80-column terminal window, even though the data requires no more than
> 22 columns. While this doesn't look so awful as-is, when I'm working
> in a very wide window it starts to look a little silly.
>
> The behavior I'd have expected is that if the data is narrower than
> the window, the lines only go to the right margin of the data. This
> is a trivial change to the logic in print_aligned_vertical, but before
> I go make it, does anyone want to argue that the current behavior is
> preferable to that?

If you're fixing the dashed-line code, is there a way to say that we
never have more than a reasonable number of dashes (ideally, the width
of the terminal) no matter how wide the data is? Having 4000 dashes
because of large text on one row is kinda painful, and not at all useful.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.