Another little thing about psql wrapped expanded output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Another little thing about psql wrapped expanded output
Date: 2015-12-01 16:20:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

regression=# \pset format wrapped
Output format is wrapped.
regression=# \x
Expanded display is on.
regression=# select * from int8_tbl;
-[ RECORD 1 ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
q1 | 123
q2 | 456
-[ RECORD 2 ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
q1 | 123
q2 | 4567890123456789
-[ RECORD 3 ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
q1 | 4567890123456789
q2 | 123
-[ RECORD 4 ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
q1 | 4567890123456789
q2 | 4567890123456789
-[ RECORD 5 ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
q1 | 4567890123456789
q2 | -4567890123456789

Notice that the dashed lines go all the way to the right margin of my
80-column terminal window, even though the data requires no more than
22 columns. While this doesn't look so awful as-is, when I'm working
in a very wide window it starts to look a little silly.

The behavior I'd have expected is that if the data is narrower than
the window, the lines only go to the right margin of the data. This
is a trivial change to the logic in print_aligned_vertical, but before
I go make it, does anyone want to argue that the current behavior is
preferable to that?