Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension
Date: 2015-11-21 20:15:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 11/21/15 2:47 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:11:00PM -0500, David Steele wrote:
>> I fixed many of the issues that caused complaints at the end of the 9.5
>> cycle, but there are still two remaining items I would want to address
>> before resubmitting:
>>
>> 1) There was concern about audit messages being sent to the clients.
>> I'm looking at adding an option to the ereport macro to suppress sending
>> messages to the clients. I'll submit that patch soon.
>
> I don't object to audit messages being client-visible; did anyone feel that
> was a blocker? I did make a related point, namely, the documentation must not
> assert that you can hide messages from clients if you in fact cannot.

I don't think anyone felt it was a blocker but it seemed nobody thought
it was ideal, either. I certainly don't.

The error in the documentation was unfortunate but that's what the
review process is all about. I'm appreciative of everyone who had a
look at the patch.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net