Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-23 23:33:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/23/2015 03:05 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 9/23/15 3:12 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> They also support Postgres as their backend (and you do find hints
>> here and
>> there
>> that it is the recommended open source DBMS for them - but they don't
>> explicitly state it like that). We are using Jira at the company I
>> work for
>> and
>> all Jira installations run on Postgres there.
>
> I'll second Jira as well. It's the only issue tracker I've seen that you
> can actually use for multiple different things without it becoming a
> mess. IE: it could track Postgres bugs, infrastructure issues, and the
> TODO list if we wanted, allow issues to reference each other
> intelligently, yet still keep them as 3 separate bodies.

Speaking as someone who uses Jira for commericial work, I'm -1 on them.
I simply don't find Jira to be superior to OSS BT systems, and inferior
in several ways (like that you can't have more than one person assigned
to a bug). And email integration for Jira is nonexistant.

When we discussed this 8 years ago, Debian said debbugs wasn't ready for
anyone else to use. Has that changed?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.