perlcritic

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: perlcritic
Date: 2015-09-01 03:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We now have 80+ Perl files in our tree, and it's growing. Some of those
files were originally written for Perl 4, and the coding styles and
quality are quite, uh, divergent. So I figured it's time to clean up
that code a bit. I ran perlcritic over the tree and cleaned up all the
warnings at level 5 (the default, least severe).

Testing guidelines:

- Many files are part of the regular build or test process.

- msvc files need to be tested separately. I tested as best as I could
on a non-Windows system.

- There are a couple of one-offs in contrib and src/test that need to be
run manually.

- The stuff under utils/mb/Unicode/ has a makefile that is not part of
the normal build process. I'll send in a few more patches to that in a
separate message that should help testing.

To install perlcritic, run

cpan -i Perl::Critic

and then run

perlcritic .

at the top of the tree (or a subdirectory).

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Clean-up-Perl-code-according-to-perlcritic-severity-.patch text/x-patch 121.4 KB