Re: Test code is worth the space

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Test code is worth the space
Date: 2015-08-13 14:04:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/13/15 9:55 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 09:32:02 -0400, David Steele wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not the PG license? It would be nicer if we didn't have to worry
>>> about license contamination here.
>
> I don't think MIT is particularly problematic, it's rather similar to a
> 3 clause BSD and both are pretty similar to PG's license.
>
>> There are actually a few reasons I chose the MIT license:
>>
>> 1) It's one of the most permissive licenses around.
>
>> 2) I originally had plans to extend backrest to other database systems.
>> Nearly two years into development I don't think that sounds like a great
>> idea anymore but it was the original plan.
>
> I don't see the difference to/with postgres' license there.

Perhaps just me but it was really about perception. If I extended
BackRest to work with MySQL (shudders) then I thought it would be weird
if it used the PostgreSQL license.

Anyway, now BackRest is now pretty solidly pgBackRest and I don't have
any immediate plans to port to other database systems so the point is
probably moot.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net