Re: Supporting TAP tests with MSVC and Windows

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Supporting TAP tests with MSVC and Windows
Date: 2015-07-24 17:27:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/25/2015 07:40 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Here is v6, a rebased version on HEAD (79f2b5d). There were some
>> conflicts with the indentation and some other patches related to
>> pg_rewind and initdb's tests.
>
> Attached is v7, rebased on 0b157a0.

Thanks! I fiddled with this a bit more, to centralize more of the
platform-dependent stuff to RewindTest.pm. Also, Windows doesn't have
"cat" and "touch" if you haven't installed MinGW, so I replaced those
calls with built-in perl code.

Can you double-check that the attached still works in your environment?
It works for me now.

Note: I had some trouble installing IPC::Run on my system, with
ActiveState Perl and MSVC. There is no PPM package of that for Windows,
so I had to do "cpan install IPC::Run". That downloaded the MinGW C
compiler and make utility, which took a while. But some of the IPC::Run
regression tests failed, and the installation was aborted. I forced my
way through that "notest install IPC::Run". The next obstacle was that
"vcregress <anything>" no longer worked. It complained about finding
some function in the Install module. Turns out that when it installed
the C compiler and make utility, it also installed a module called
"install" from cpan, which has the same name as the PostgreSQL
Install.pm module. We really should rename our module. I got through
that by manually removing the system install.pm module from the perl
installation's site directory. But after that, it worked great :-).

We need to put some instructions in the docs on how to install IPC::Run
on Windows. I can write up something unless you're eager to.

- Heikki

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-TAP-tests-work-on-Windows.patch application/x-patch 19.6 KB