Re: 9.5 alpha: some small comments on BRIN and btree_gin

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 alpha: some small comments on BRIN and btree_gin
Date: 2015-07-07 00:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/06/2015 12:20 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:
> There seems to be no "fence" against useless BRIN indexes that would allow a fallback on a table scan.
> But the time overhead remind small :)

When have we ever stopped users from creating useless indexes? For one
thing, just because the index isn't useful *now* doesn't mean it won't
be in the future.

Now, it would be useful to have a brin_index_effectiveness() function so
that DBAs could check for themselves whether they should dump indexes.
However, I don't see needing that for 9.5.

Are there usage stats in pg_stat_user_indexes for BRIN?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.