Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date: 2008-08-19 17:06:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> Another thing I do not understand well is how people are expected to work in
> 8.3 with a function based API, without hitting Skype problems.

I could understand this level of complaining if this were a new problem
that'd appeared in 8.3. But *every PG version that we've ever released*
behaves the same way with respect to function drop/recreate. If the
Skype folk have developed a way of working that is guaranteed not to
work with any released version, one has to wonder what they were
thinking.

If you need to DROP rather than CREATE OR REPLACE functions, then 8.3
doesn't make things better for you than prior releases did, but it
does't make them worse either. Making things better for that case is
unequivocally a new feature. And it's rather a corner case at that,
else there would have been enough prior complaints to put it on the
radar screen for 8.3.

What we've got at this point is a submitted patch for a new feature
that hasn't even been accepted into HEAD yet. Lobbying to get it
back-patched is entirely inappropriate IMHO.