Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-08-19 17:04:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:48:20 -0400

> Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Well, why not just make a one-eighty and say that the default
> >> postgresql.conf is *empty* (except for whatever initdb puts into
> >> it)?
>
> > I guess it would depend on what initdb puts into it.
>
> Per the code:
>
> max_connections
> shared_buffers
> max_fsm_pages (slated to die anyway in 8.4)
> lc_messages
> lc_monetary
> lc_numeric
> lc_time
> datestyle
> default_text_search_config
>
> The first three of those are derived from probing the SHMMAX setting,
> and the rest are from the initdb-time locale settings.

When I first started to reply I had a list of another dozen or so we
should add but in reality as I think about it; we need only one more
parameter. If we add listen_addresses and a link to the documention for
the rest, I would +1 this.

I was thinking about the apache conf and it is riddled with
documentation, lots and lots of text. I find that either I am irritated
with how much documentation there is (because I already understand the
directive I am working with) or I am frustrated because it doesn't
adequately explain the dependencies.

If we move to the above route, we end up in an environment with a
single source for "official" documentation and we can always point to
that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake