Re: pgsql: Make hstore_plperl's build even more like plperl's

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Make hstore_plperl's build even more like plperl's
Date: 2015-05-02 17:02:29
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 5/2/15 11:05 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Note that the override is EXACTLY what is done unconditionally in the
> plperl GNUmakefile:
>
> override CPPFLAGS := -I. -I$(srcdir) $(CPPFLAGS)
> -I$(perl_archlibexp)/CORE

The override is a red herring. It's done this way because all CPPFLAGS
settings have to be done with override, for unrelated reasons. In a
pgxs build, however, you can set PG_CPPFLAGS, which is later put into
CPPFLAGS with override.

Also, requiring that -I$(perl_archlibexp)/CORE is last seems bizarre.
That would mean that an earlier include directory contains a file that
is also in .../CORE, and you don't want to the one in .../CORE. In that
case, why add .../CORE at all? We get Perl headers from .../CORE, and
that would then mean that other include directories contain some Perl
headers that you want to use in preference to the ones in .../CORE, but
at the same time you want the ones in .../CORE as a fallback.

That might possibly be the actual case, but it would be quite odd and
should be properly explained for posterity.