Re: Do we want a hashset type?

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "jian he" <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tomas Vondra" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we want a hashset type?
Date: 2023-06-15 15:55:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023, at 11:44, jian he wrote:
> I didn't install the extension directly. I copied the
> hashset--0.0.1.sql to another place, using gcc to compile these
> functions.
..
> Because even make
> PG_CONFIG=/home/jian/postgres/2023_05_25_beta5421/bin/pg_config still
> has an error.
> fatal error: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
> 3 | #include <libpq-fe.h>

What platform are you on?
You seem to be missing the postgresql dev package.
For instance, here is how to compile and install the extension on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS:

sudo apt install postgresql-15 postgresql-server-dev-15 postgresql-client-15
git clone https://github.com/tvondra/hashset.git
cd hashset
make
sudo make install
make installcheck

> Is there any way to put test_send_recv.c to sql test file?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to test *_recv() functions from SQL,
since they take `internal` as input. The only way I could figure out to test them
was to write a C-program using libpq's binary mode.

I also note that the test_send_recv test was broken; I had forgot to change
the type from "hashset" to "int4hashset". Fixed in attached commit.

On Ubuntu, you can now run the test by specifying to connect via the UNIX socket:

PGHOST=/var/run/postgresql make run_c_tests
cd test/c_tests && ./test_send_recv.sh
test test_send_recv ... ok

> Attached is a patch slightly modified README.md. feel free to change,
> since i am not native english speaker...
> Attachments:
> * 0001-add-instruction-using-PG_CONFIG-to-install-extension.patch

Thanks, will have a look later.

/Joel

Attachment Content-Type Size
hashset-0.0.1-bb0ece8.patch application/octet-stream 3.4 KB