Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand
Date: 2015-02-03 00:57:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/02/2015 07:54 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> The last 5 branches only takes us back to 9.0, which isn't very far.
> I would want to have at least the 8.x branches in the SGML build, and
> maybe the 7.x branches as well. I would be happy to drop anything
> pre-7.x from the docs build and just let the people who care look at
> the SGML. You seem to be assuming that nobody spends much time
> looking at the release notes for older branches, but that is certainly
> false in my own case.

It seems to me that the docs that are shipped should only contain
information in regards to supported versions. Frankly there is no reason
to ship any release notes except for the version that they are shipping
with (e.g; there is no reason for 9.0 to be in 9.1). It is just bloat at
that point when we can point everyone to the website or ftp site.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc