Re: proposal: row_to_array function

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: row_to_array function
Date: 2015-01-16 17:42:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/16/15 11:22 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> On 1/16/15 3:45 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
> I am returning back to processing records in plpgsql.
>
> I am thinking so it can be simply processed with transformations to array.
>
> Now we have similar functions - hstore(row), row_to_json, ... but using of these functions can be a useless step. Any row variable can be transformed to 2D text array.
>

> How is it useless? Why wouldn't you just use JSON and be done with it?
>

> We can use a FOREACH IN ARRAY iteration in plpgsql (second variant is a implementation FOREACH for jsonb)
>
> so ROW->ARRAY is shorter than ROW->JSON->ARRAY or ROW->HSTORE->ARRAY

I think the real problem here is that we're inventing a bunch of different ways to do the same thing: iterate over a set. Instead of doing that, should we add the idea of an iterator to the type system? That would make sense for arrays, hstore, json and XML.

> Do you have some use cases you can share?
>

> processing of NEW, OLD variables in triggers

Note that last time I checked you couldn't do something like NEW.variable, and I don't think you could use EXEC to do it either. So there's more needed here than just converting a record to an array.