Re: Any better plan for this query?..

From: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Date: 2009-05-12 12:28:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

For the moment I'm even not considering any scalability issues on the
Read+Write workload - it may always be related to the storage box, and
storage latency or controller/cache efficiency may play a lot.

As problem I'm considering a scalability issue on Read-Only workload -
only selects, no disk access, and if on move from 8 to 16 cores we
gain near 100%, on move from 16 to 32 cores it's only 10%...

I think I have to replay Read-Only with prepare/execute and check how
much it'll help (don't know if there are some internal locking used
when a planner is involved)..

And yes, I'll try to profile on 32 cores, it makes sense.

Rgds,
-Dimitri