Re: Any better plan for this query?..

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Date: 2009-05-12 12:36:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dimitri wrote:
> Folks, before you start to think "what a dumb guy doing a dumb thing" :-))
> I'll explain you few details:
>
> it's for more than 10 years I'm using a db_STRESS kit
> (http://dimitrik.free.fr/db_STRESS.html) to check databases
> performance and scalability. Until now I was very happy with results
> it gave me as it stress very well each database engine internals an
> put on light some things I should probably skip on other workloads.
> What do you want, with a time the "fast" query executed before in
> 500ms now runs within 1-2ms - not only hardware was improved but also
> database engines increased their performance a lot! :-))

I was attempting to look into that "benchmark" kit a bit but I find the
information on that page a bit lacking :( a few notices:

* is the sourcecode for the benchmark actually available? the "kit"
seems to contain a few precompiled binaries and some source/headfiles
but there are no building instructions, no makefile or even a README
which makes it really hard to verify exactly what the benchmark is doing
or if the benchmark client might actually be the problem here.

* there is very little information on how the toolkit talks to the
database - some of the binaries seem to contain a static copy of libpq
or such?

* how many queries per session is the toolkit actually using - some
earlier comments seem to imply you are doing a connect/disconnect cycle
for every query ist that actually true?

Stefan