Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2014-10-21 08:40:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2014/10/14 20:00), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Here are separated patches.
>
> fdw-chk.patch - CHECK constraints on foreign tables
> fdw-inh.patch - table inheritance with foreign tables
>
> The latter has been created on top of [1].

> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/540DA168.3040407@lab.ntt.co.jp

To be exact, it has been created on top of [1] and fdw-chk.patch.

I noticed that the latter disallows TRUNCATE on inheritance trees that
contain at least one child foreign table. But I think it would be
better to allow it, with the semantics that we quietly ignore the child
foreign tables and apply the operation to the child plain tables, which
is the same semantics as ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE on such inheritance
trees. Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita