Re: Unable to connect to a server

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to connect to a server
Date: 2008-11-12 13:39:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

> pgAdmin will not edit the correct files for you. You need to open them

> on that server with a text editor to modify those settings.

Slight correction to Bob's note - not that it helps in this case but I
thought I would set the record straight.

You CAN edit the files from PgAdmin even for a remote server as long as
the adminpack.sql (located in contrib folder) (I think that is the one)
is installed on the postgresql server you are connecting to. It is
located under Tools->Server Configuration of PgAdmin III.

I do it all the time for quick edits. Though in general especially for
more involved edits I find it easier to edit the pg_hba.conf and
postgresql.conf files directly.

Hope that helps,
Regina