Re: Unable to connect to a server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to connect to a server
Date: 2008-11-12 13:27:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

"A. Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com> writes:
> am Tue, dem 11.11.2008, um 17:37:35 -0800 mailte Steve Henry folgendes:
>> I'm a newbie, using the Mac platform.
>> From doing some reading, I think the solution is to change the value
>> of listen_addresses to '*'

> Not only that, you should also edit your pg_hba.conf to allow remote
> access.

Another likely gotcha is the platform's firewall -- you may have to poke
a hole for port 5432 using the security tab in system preferences.

>> But I don't know where to do that. I'm using pgAdmin3. Can it be
>> done there? Or do I need to use Terminal?

Just open up the files with TextEdit or your favorite other plain-text
editor. They're in whatever PGDATA directory you pointed initdb at.
You'll need to restart the postmaster after changing listen_addresses.