Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

From: Dave McGuire <mcguire(at)neurotica(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Klos <john(at)ziaspace(dot)com>, port-vax(at)netbsd(dot)org, vax(at)openbsd(dot)org, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date: 2014-06-29 19:10:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/29/2014 02:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, the issue from our point of view is that a lot of what we care about
> testing is extremely low-level hardware behavior, like whether spinlocks
> work as expected across processors. It's not clear that a simulator would
> provide a sufficiently accurate emulation.

Oh ok, I understand. Thank you for the clarification.

> OTOH, the really nasty issues like cache coherency rules don't arise in
> single-processor systems. So unless you have a multiprocessor VAX
> available to spin up, a simulator may tell us as much as we'd learn
> anyway.
>
> (If you have got one, maybe some cash could be found --- we do have
> project funds available, and I think they'd be well spent on testing
> purposes. I don't make those decisions though.)

I have several multiprocessor VAXen, but only one of them is capable
of running NetBSD, and I only (currently) have a single processor in
that machine. I can (and want to) fix that, but not right away.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
New Kensington, PA