Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire(at)neurotica(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Klos <john(at)ziaspace(dot)com>, port-vax(at)netbsd(dot)org, vax(at)openbsd(dot)org, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date: 2014-06-29 18:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave McGuire <mcguire(at)neurotica(dot)com> writes:
> On 06/29/2014 10:54 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Maybe I'm just not playful enough, but keeping a platform alive so we
>> can run postgres in simulator seems a bit, well, pointless.

> On the "in a simulator" matter: It's important to keep in mind that
> there are more VAXen out there than just simulated ones. I'm offering
> up a simulated one here because I can spin it up in a dedicated VM on a
> VMware host that's already running and I already have power budget for.
> I could just as easily run it on real hardware...there are, at last
> count, close to forty real-iron VAXen here, but only a few of those are
> running 24/7. I'd happily bring up another one to do Postgres builds
> and testing, if someone will send me the bucks to pay for the additional
> power and cooling. (that is a real offer)

Well, the issue from our point of view is that a lot of what we care about
testing is extremely low-level hardware behavior, like whether spinlocks
work as expected across processors. It's not clear that a simulator would
provide a sufficiently accurate emulation.

OTOH, the really nasty issues like cache coherency rules don't arise in
single-processor systems. So unless you have a multiprocessor VAX
available to spin up, a simulator may tell us as much as we'd learn
anyway.

(If you have got one, maybe some cash could be found --- we do have
project funds available, and I think they'd be well spent on testing
purposes. I don't make those decisions though.)