Re: Linking backend in one piece

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linking backend in one piece
Date: 2008-02-22 17:28:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Yeah, I think it would be folly to assume that we can name all the
>> individual object files in one big command line. But isn't the current
>> patch trying to do exactly that?

> The current patch assumes that it works in most environments and offers the
> old way as a fallback.

I see, that's why you wanted the conditional in there. It would need to
be documented in the build instructions.

Some experimentation with "find" suggests that the actual command length
will be under 12K, which is probably going to work on most modern
platforms, so maybe I'm worried over nothing. Let's put it in and see
what the buildfarm says ...