Re: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin
Date: 2014-02-01 13:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/31/14, 12:47 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Hmm, looks like it got dropped. I think my original patch is probably
> about the the right thing to do, and given that it's already done by
> the MSVC build it's a bug and should be backported, as Alvaro said in
> the original discussion.
>
> I'll get on that shortly - since the patch was untested I'll need to do
> a test first.

I think this change is reasonable to make, but it should be in
Makefile.shlib, not in libpq/Makefile. Makefile.shlib already knows
about the difference between a link-time and a run-time dynamic library
(not to speak of Windows vs. others), so the right change there will
make it work for libpq, ecpg, and whatever else someone might come up
with automatically.