Re: Supporting SJIS as a database encoding

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'Tatsuo Ishii' <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting SJIS as a database encoding
Date: 2016-09-05 16:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/05/2016 05:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> writes:
>> Before digging into the problem, could you share your impression on
>> whether PostgreSQL can support SJIS? Would it be hopeless?
>
> I think it's pretty much hopeless.

Agreed.

But one thing that would help a little, would be to optimize the UTF-8
-> SJIS conversion. It uses a very generic routine, with a binary search
over a large array of mappings. I bet you could do better than that,
maybe using a hash table or a radix tree instead of the large
binary-searched array.

- Heikki