upgrade 7.1.3 -> 7.2b3 - a problem with pl/pgsql

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)rdw(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: upgrade 7.1.3 -> 7.2b3 - a problem with pl/pgsql
Date: 2001-12-07 08:23:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings!

Well, the problem is as follows: I upgraded from PostgreSQL 7.1.3 to
PostgreSQL 7.2b3 on our dev. box (following the instructions in the
docs), and found out that PL/PgSQL functions stopped working...

Digging into this I found out the following:
Pre-7.2 PostgreSQL installed plpgsql.so into $PREFIX/lib
(/usr/local/lib in my case), while 7.2b3 did this to
$PREFIX/lib/postgresql, leaving the old plpgsql.so intact...

pg_dump, on the other hand, dumps CREATE LANGUAGE commands with
absolute paths... So I ended up with the old plpgsql.so used in the new
PostgreSQL installation, and this combo wasn't working.

I fixed this by simply overwriting the old file with the new. But I
still have the question: shouldn't this change be documented
somewhere?

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru