Re: Index Skip Scan

From: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bhushan Uparkar <bhushan(dot)uparkar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan
Date: 2018-08-16 18:28:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Thomas,

On 08/16/2018 02:22 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> The idea of starting with DISTINCT was just that it's
> comparatively easy. We should certainly try to look ahead and bear
> those features in mind when figuring out the interfaces though. Would
> the indexam skip(scan, direction, prefix_size) operation I proposed be
> sufficient? Is there a better way?

Yeah, I'm hoping that a Committer can provide some feedback on the
direction that this patch needs to take.

One thing to consider is the pluggable storage patch, which is a lot
more important than this patch. I don't want this patch to get in the
way of that work, so it may have to wait a bit in order to see any new
potential requirements.

> I'm glad to see this topic come back!

You did the work, and yes hopefully we can get closer to this subject in
12 :)

Best regards,
Jesper