Re: making pg_regress less noisy by removing boilerplate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: making pg_regress less noisy by removing boilerplate
Date: 2022-02-21 17:05:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> When running check-world, a good chunk of the output is just pg_regress
> boilerplate. It doesn't matter when running tests individually or for tests
> with a lot of individual tests like the main regression tests. But for lots of
> the rest it is noisy. These days there are many more regression tests than
> there used to be when the output was designed...

Also, those steps typically run a lot faster than they did then
(both software speedups, and most people use better hardware).
We no longer need that output to reassure ourselves that progress
is being made.

> It seems we could [ combine printouts ]

How about going further, and just not print *any* of this overhead
stuff, except maybe the "running on port 51696 with PID 1156405"
line (and I'm not too wedded to that)? It is only interesting
if something fails. For that, maybe if there's a failure we
could print "while running text-of-command-here" after the fact.

It'd also be a good idea to start using "make -s" by default for the
preparatory steps.