Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Alvaro Herrera' <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Greg Stark' <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, 'Andres Freund' <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Boszormenyi Zoltan' <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-03-22 04:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/21/13 10:39 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I think adding new syntax change is little scary for me, not for the matter
> of implementation but for building consensus on syntax.
> Can we do it as an enhancement later?

Yeah, I think the basics of this could be committed, but have later
improvements that let you fine-tune when the reload happens better.

> Other ways could be to either give Notice after each command or mention the
> same in documentation clearly.
> I feel giving Notice after every command doesn't look good, so may be we can
> mention the same in documentation.

I think that NOTICE after every command is the only way we'll make sure
to catch every user who should be notified about the feature's limitation.

I was thinking of something like this:

NOTICE: New configuration is written but not applied yet. Signal the
server to reload settings using pg_reload_conf to activate the change.

Maybe that's a NOTICE plus a HINT.