Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Greg Stark'" <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "'Andres Freund'" <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "'Boszormenyi Zoltan'" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-03-22 04:58:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 3/21/13 10:39 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> I feel giving Notice after every command doesn't look good, so may be we can
>> mention the same in documentation.

> I think that NOTICE after every command is the only way we'll make sure
> to catch every user who should be notified about the feature's limitation.

We have been around on that type of proposal before. A command that
issues a NOTICE as part of its *standard* behavior is really not going
to fly; the annoyance, talking-down-to-the-user factor is too high.

IOW, if you think the command needs that, then its design is broken
and you need to do better.