Re: vpath builds and verbose error messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vpath builds and verbose error messages
Date: 2011-11-23 00:07:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One thing that isn't so nice about all this is that it embeds the
> personal directory structure of the builder of the binary into the
> shipped product. But gcc's cpp doesn't like redefining __FILE__, so the
> only way to get around that altogether would be to use something other
> than __FILE__ and define that for all builds. Might not be worth it.

Well, if you have a problem with that, don't use a vpath build. I don't
think it's our job to work around gcc behaviors that someone else might
feel to be security issues --- they should take that up with the gcc
maintainers. To me, the only argument for doing anything about this at
all is that we'd like Postgres' behavior (in terms of what it prints in
error messages) to be consistent across different build scenarios.