Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays
Date: 2011-11-22 23:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
> On 23 November 2011 10:47, Mikko Tiihonen
> <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here is a patch that adds a new flag to the protocol that is set when all
>> elements of the array are of same fixed size.

> How does a client detect that this feature is supported?

The only way that anything like this will go in is as part of a protocol
version bump, so discoverability would reduce to knowing which protocol
you're using. We should file this away as one of the things we might
want to do whenever there's sufficient critical mass for a new wire
protocol version.

Note that COPY BINARY files would be affected too, and so we'd want to
make sure that this sort of change is recognizable from a binary file's
header.