Re: Doc patch, distinguish sections with an empty row in error code table

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Doc patch, distinguish sections with an empty row in error code table
Date: 2012-11-06 17:38:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/06/2012 12:09 PM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

>>> Postgresql uses Docbook 4.2 and openjade/dsssl style sheets.
>> Is there even a remote chance for you to migrate to XSL stylesheets ?
>> I'm not sure the DSSL ones are maintained at all at this point, so
>> improvements, fixes, and customizations are much easier to get with
>> XSL.
>
> P.S. It's a shame, since I much prefer DSSL to XSL.
> (And I don't know either well enough to be able to
> whack out a migration of DSSL to XSL.)
> (Though I do "like" working with xsltproc.)

I don't recall what the arguments against moving to XML/XSL were other
than inertia.

It's surely true that the number of tools supporting XML/XSL and the
number of people capable of working on an XSL based system (e.g. me)
greatly exceeds those for SGML/DSSSL. I know certain prominent
contributors who utterly detest having to work with SGML.

cheers

andrew