Re: Maybe off-topic: Why MySQL so popular? (or why PostgreSQL so un-popular?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Carlos Moreno <moreno(at)mochima(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maybe off-topic: Why MySQL so popular? (or why PostgreSQL so un-popular?)
Date: 2001-08-08 21:56:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Carlos Moreno <moreno(at)mochima(dot)com> writes:
> I'm so frustrated!! Could somebody tell me at
> least a reason for which MySQL could have become
> so popular? Maybe knowing that there is a
> concrete reason will help me alleviate this
> deep feeling of irritation... :-(

It's a historical thing, I think. Three or four years ago, when it
first occurred to people that making database-backed websites would be a
Good Idea, MySQL probably *was* the better choice. Postgres had a lot
of features, but it was still basically an academic research system:
it had lots of bugs too, and performance wasn't very good. So most of
the early work on database-backed websites gravitated to MySQL.

Since then, we've come a long way in improving stability and
performance, but we still have to play catchup in the mindshare
department. Especially among people who are mostly tuned into
web development.