Re: ecpg bug with SQL TYPE xxxPtr is xxx REFERENCE?

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg bug with SQL TYPE xxxPtr is xxx REFERENCE?
Date: 2001-08-09 08:08:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Michael Meskes writes:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:07:18AM -0700, Lee Kindness wrote:
> > I believe ecpg is incorrectly handling the placement of results into a
> > pointer to a host structure, consider the following function:
> > GeoContractorTabPtr ptr;
> This is not a pointer. This defines ptr to be a struct, doesn't it?

It's a pointer but it's conforming to some god-awful programming
practise we have in house. For example in table_strs.h there is:

/* Description of table geo_contractor from database */
typedef struct GeoContractorTabStr_
{
char project_id[9];
char contractor[53];
} GeoContractorTabStr, *GeoContractorTabPtr;

and in table_strs_embedded.h

/* Description of table geo_contractor from database */
EXEC SQL TYPE GeoContractorTabStr IS STRUCT {
char project_id[9];
char contractor[53];
};
EXEC SQL TYPE GeoContractorTabPtr IS GeoContractorTabStr REFERENCE;

both are included in the C file.

Thanks, Lee Kindness.