Re: BUG #15492: pg_cancel_backend(pg_backend_pid()) returns true sporadically

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15492: pg_cancel_backend(pg_backend_pid()) returns true sporadically
Date: 2018-11-12 04:01:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

09.11.2018 17:49, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Oh, i didn't realize that wasn't run by the buildfarm. Then yeah, it's
>> pretty likely it was simply never run.
> IIRC, the reason those tests aren't run by default is that they're
> pointless unless executed in a hot-standby configuration. I'm inclined to
> think we should remove them from src/test/regress altogether, and instead
> put equivalent checks (for any not-already-covered case) into one of the
> TAP tests that sets up such a configuration. src/test/recovery is
> probably the right home.
I tried to use the 'make standycheck' approach for two reasons. First,
it's documented at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/regress-run.html
Second, it allows to test a replication between different minor versions
(after some setup).
Will we still have such a possibility, if the tests will be removed?

Best regards,
Alexander