Re: Oid registry

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oid registry
Date: 2012-09-26 00:48:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Actually, after reading another message you sent, I thought you were
>> going to respond that your proposed transforms feature would cover it.
> I had thought about this some time ago, but it's clearer to think of
> casts as associating two types, versus transforms associating a type and
> a language. JSON and XML tend to be types.

OK, I think this solves the object_to_json problem after all - we'll
look for a cast to json and if it's not there use the string form of the
object. Nice.

That still leaves the other uses for having well known Oids (or possibly
UUIDs) for non-builtin types (e.g. so Drivers don't have to look them up
in the catalogs, or having issues when types are added to the core.)

cheers

andrew