Re: AIX and ipv6

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AIX and ipv6
Date: 2012-09-11 20:22:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 09/11/12 12:55 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> is their any chance this will ever be addressed?
> have you got your aix completely up to date with all patches? I got
> burned in a similar fashion a while back on a related call --
> getaddrinfo IIRC.

It was updated to 'current' a year or so ago, I believe. We like to
keep our development system at approximately the same TL level as the
production systems

my development system is currently at...

# oslevel -s
6100-06-05-1115

which is AIX Version 6.1, TL06, SP5. this was released in 2011 week 15
and is, I believe, what operations is using. They are VERY
conservative about updating OS patches in production and will only patch
when faced with known problems.

the complication is, I can't reproduce the problem in my lab, i think I
disabled ipv6 entirely a long time ago.... the problem is occurring in
our production operations overseas, which have a 12-14 hour time delta,
when I've tried to work with them to match up the settings, the time and
communications barriers have made it very difficult. once they get a
workaround that gets past this problem, I tend to not hear from them
again until there is a new problem.

I'm suggesting the local admin try listen_addresses = '0.0.0.0' fix
rather than listing 127.0.0.1,ip.of.machine, lets see if this works for us.

If you can point me to a specific patch level (TL, SP) for that
getaddrinfo problem, I can ask operations to test it on their staging
environment.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast