Error: The database does not exist on the server

From: Steve Bond <bondy(at)skysurf-airdsl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error: The database does not exist on the server
Date: 2003-09-12 14:50:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm running postgresql on a linux box and having trouble connecting to my
database from another machine. When I do

>psql -l

I get a list of 4 databases but I cannot connect to any of them remotely,
as they cannot be found. I'm using

/var/lib/pgsql/data/

as my data directory. Am I using the wrong directory or is there a way to
specify which directory for the client machine to look in?
Thanks in advance.