Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From: "Tegge, Bernd" <tegge(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0
Date: 2003-01-28 09:41:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 14:25 27.01.2003 -0800, Art Fore wrote:
>Well, I am no fan of MS SQL, but as I mentioned, it was pretty easy to
>install a few years ago, about 4 I think. Maybe Red Hat does makes it
>easier, but SuSE sure did not. Normaly Suse does pretty good with these
>type programs. Also, my database needs are pretty simple, parts
>database, things like that.
>
>A type of flow-chart where the myriad of config files belong and a basid
>description would really help, but I have never seen that. MySQL was
>easier to install and configure, but it does not have stored views as
>Postgresql.

Well, I haven't used 8.0, but I just installed SuSE 8.1.
Basically, I did the following:
- Install at least packages postgresql, postgresql-libs and postgresql-server
- Use the yast2 /etc/sysconfig editor to set your data dir and any postmaster
opts ( like -i ). You can find them under Base-Applications/Postgres.
- Use the Yast2 Runlevel editor to specify at which runlevels the postmaster
should be started ( typically just 5 )
You can start the the server right from that form.
- Add yourself a user account with "createuser -U postgres -d -A <username>"
and a database "createdb mydb"
That took about 5 minutes.