Re: "set nice" running a transaction in a lower

From: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
To: "Clark C (dot) Evans" <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "set nice" running a transaction in a lower
Date: 2002-06-12 17:59:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On a related topic:

Is it possible to run a background query (I use JDBC)?

For example, I would like to run a query which I know takes a long time to
process, without holding the connection open and/or synchronously waiting
for the query response.

This is related to the "import" because I typically do my import to a temp
table, then INSERT...SELECT into the real table which is very slow because
of all the indexes which have to be handled.

Thanks,

Doug