Re: Is there eny e-mail server that uses postgreSQL

From: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
To: Serkan Bekta <sbektas(at)karincaint(dot)com(dot)tr>
Cc: "Mathieu Arnold" <mat(at)mat(dot)cc>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there eny e-mail server that uses postgreSQL
Date: 2002-05-18 16:40:43
Lists: pgsql-general

>I looked at some patches, but I couldn't find enough description.
>
>I want to know ;
>* Can we use PostgreSQL to store user data and do authentication?

As I mentioned earlier, you can use Exim (www.exim.org) to do this. It has
a built in PostgreSQL connector, and you can use it's
super-ultra-mega-configurable configuration file to do almost anything you
want. For example, I use Exim to retrieve "virtual" user information (users
without /etc/password info) and then feed it into "maildir" compatible
formats for retrieval by IMAP server software.

>* Can we use PostgreSQL to store all e-mails (Inboxes & Sent Items)

You can do whatever you want, but chances are you will have to write your
own "local delivery" software if you want to do this - although someone
else had a suggestion.

Cheers,

Doug