Re: modifying columns ?

From: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Chris" <chris(at)netlabz(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: modifying columns ?
Date: 2002-04-04 21:44:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

At 16:35 04/04/2002 -0500, Chris wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Apologies if this has already been answered, but I've tried searching the
>archives, and keep getting timeouts . . .

Yes I find this too.

>We're using pg-admin to connect to a test database on a postgres server.
>We're having trouble changing a column in the form driven UI once we've
>created it. It appears as if you have to delete and add in order to make
>changes to the column . This means we would have to write ALTER TABLE DDL.
>
>Are we missing something ?

No, PostgreSQL is still lacking a fair bit in the alter table department.
From memory you can change column names and default values only for an
existing column, which after using things like MySQL or MS Access can be
hard going at first.

pgAdmin only offers features in its GUI that are in PostgreSQL although
there is debate about whether to offer 'psuedo' features where pgAdmin
makes it look like PostgreSQL can do something when in reality it cant and
its being fudged under to bonnet by pgAdmin.

Hope that helps.

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk