COPY failure

From: x <xbdelacour(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: COPY failure
Date: 2001-07-21 08:08:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I'm trying to run a script that executes multiple \copy commands in order
to import some 5 GB of data. All the input files are computer generated,
simple (5 numeric columns and "\N" for NULL in some cases), use default
delimiters, and _should_ be error free. But I keep getting error messages
for _some_ of the \copy commands.

eg,
before or while processing the request.
PQendcopy: resetting connection

Questions:

1. Are there any size restrictions on the input files?

2. How do I tell which file or better yet which line is tripping up the
system? I could cut the list in half repeatedly until I find the problem,
but that would be a huge waste of time given how long it takes to import
any of the data. I could setup more verbose logging on the backend, but
will that make a mess if my error is 2 GB into the import?

3. I'm running the Windows/cygwin version of the psql client and a Linux
backend, if that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Xavier