Re:

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: "Dax Duskin" <dax(dot)duskin(at)zsassociates(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2001-03-12 15:36:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

At 11:09 08/03/01 -0600, Dax Duskin wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I was hoping someone could help me with the following:
>
>I am trying to install jdbc and I am having some trouble. I am using the
>Linux-Mandrake Distribution (7.2).
>
>First I installed the postgresql-jdbc rpm, but I couldn't find my
>postgresql.jar
>file anywhere (that's supposed to happen right?). Stumped I copied the source
>code into my /opt directory.
>
>I entered the directory /src/interfaces/jdbc.
>I typed make jdbc2 jar and received this error:
>
>org/postgresql/Connection.java:1: error:Cannot find type
>"org/postgresql/Field"

unset you CLASSPATH and try again. A common problem.

Peter

I tried a number of things. I tried building jdbc1 as well. and I tried
>building postgresql myself without using rpms. no luck. There are 4 jar files
>in my /var/lib/pgsql directory. jdbc-(versionnum)-.jar I tried compiling
>a few
>java programs using these, but i wasn't able to locate the driver when the
>programs were run. What are those 4 jars used for anyway?

One for each type of JVM. Place the one your your JVM version (and only
one) into your CLASSPATH then try running with it.

PS: In Java you don't compile against a .jar file, you just use it. In fact
in 90% of use, you don't need the .jar file to be present to compile.

Peter