Re: role support

From: guillaume <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Benedek László <laci(at)benedekl(dot)tvnetwork(dot)hu>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: role support
Date: 2010-07-20 09:05:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:33:56 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 06/07/2010 16:36, Benedek László a écrit :
>> [...]
>> I createad a patch to add support for roles in saved server
>> configurations.
>> After a db connection it will issue a SET Role=<rolename> when a
>> rolename is specified for the connected server.
>>
>> This allows using pgAdmin's gui to create/alter/delete objects in
>> accordance with a security policy that forbids logging in directly
>> as superuser, but instead specifies that you should log into an admin
>> account and then SET Role to the superuser.
>>

> It seems quite interesting. I still only read the patch (and it seems a
> good one), but I didn't test it actually. I'll do in the next few days.
> Anyway, we're still in beta for 1.12. If the patch is good enough, we'll
> have to wait the creation of the 1.12 branch before applying it.

I tried to apply your patch, but there is a big issue. It doesn't apply
cleanly at all. And when I say "at all", I really mean it. It seems the
patch was written way before we apply the "application name" patch (that
was 7 months ago). Can you update your patch and make sure it applies with
current HEAD? (should I say the master branch for git? :) ) I will get a
look at your updated patch.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume