Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters
Date: 2012-05-10 16:09:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Gnanakumar" <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com> wrote:

> I've already thought of converting this into a document and keep
> it handy so that I may want to refer back whenever I need.

I've put up a first cut at such a document as a Wiki page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections

Everyone should feel free to improve upon it. I'll probably add a
"thought experiment" I've used a few times which seems to help some
people understand the issue.

>> A formula which has held up pretty well across a lot of
>> benchmarks for years is that for optimal throughput the number of
>> active connections should be somewhere near
>> ((core_count * 2) + effective_spindle_count).
>
> Our entire Production application stack is setup in Amazon EC2
> cloud environment, that includes database server also. So, in
> that case, how do I find out "effective_spindle_count"? I know
> "core_count" can be determined from Amazon EC2 instance type. Per
> Amazon EC2, EBS volumes are reportedly a shared resource.

I think you need to experiment with different pools sizes. Please
post results and/or update the Wiki page.

-Kevin