Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters

From: "Gnanakumar" <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: "'Kevin Grittner'" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters
Date: 2012-05-10 08:32:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

> A formula which has held up pretty well across a lot of benchmarks
> for years is that for optimal throughput the number of active
> connections should be somewhere near
> ((core_count * 2) + effective_spindle_count).

Our entire Production application stack is setup in Amazon EC2 cloud
environment, that includes database server also. So, in that case, how do I
find out "effective_spindle_count"? I know "core_count" can be determined
from Amazon EC2 instance type. Per Amazon EC2, EBS volumes are reportedly a
shared resource.